The ATO has advised that it has developed a Visa Holders Data Matching Program with the Department if Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to assist it to effectively detect and deal with compliance risks within the visa holding population.
The ATO intends to acquire visa information for visa granted between 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2015 , and future periods between 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2017 (it is estimated that the total number of records that will be obtained is for more than one million individuals).
The purpose of this data matching is to ensure that taxpayers are correctly meeting their taxation obligations, including registration, lodgement, reporting and payment responsibilities.
Information sought includes:
- Address and contact history for visa applicants and sponsors;
- Information on all visa grants
- Address and contact history for migration agents (who assisted or facilitated the processing of the visa);
- All international travel movements undertaken by visa holders (arrivals and departures); and
- Details on education providers (i.e., educational institutions where a student visa holder intends to undertake their study).
Should you have any queries in regards to the above article, please do not hesitate to contact our office on
02 4958 1829 or email our Client Support Manager on email@example.com
Reference: ATO Website – Data matching protocols